Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Take a walk

It's been a bit of whirlwind of activity around here so I'm going to talk about something that gets brought up at least once a week around here. My commute.

I live in the Bay Area and I commute via train or bus to work. I haven't driven my car in months, and only borrow Ben's when we need something at his house. Now most people wonder why does one volunteer to live without a car for 5 days of the week, and I give them the perks of not having a car each time:

I get to walk everywhere. I'm not afraid of a half hour walk, it keeps me fit, and it honestly keeps me from eating poorly. Can't hit the drive through without a car, and nipping out for dinner is a pain in the ass if you have to walk there and back. There is also no way for me to skip the gym if I don't have to hit it during the week.

I live in the Bay Area, and our transit system is one of the best I have ever seen in my travels. During my commute I can take the train from Ben's house or the bus from my house and both come every 15 minutes. Both require a 20 minute walk to catch a ride, but both also drop me off 1 block from my office.

I save $120 per month on gas and toll. I was shocked when I did the math but I love saving money and getting to help out the environment. By carpooling for just 1 day per week you can save 25 pounds of carbon from being released into the air per year.

I get 2 hours to myself per day. Who else can say that they get 2 hours of uninterrupted time to relax? I love it! I'm not dealing with traffic, I'm able to sip my morning coffee or tea in peace, knit while listening to an audio book, play Pokemon, and I get to see the great scenery of the Bay Area go by.


I highly encourage everyone to try taking the bus, train, or carpooling one day per week

No comments:

Post a Comment