Monday, March 14, 2016

A Braver Woman than I

Rachael Herron has been my friend for about 5 years now. We have never met in person, laughed over coffee, or gone to the movies. However, she is my friend, and when I noticed she was doing poorly I sent her knitting project bags, when she releases a new book I'm there buying 2 copies to help support her, and when she told me I should try dispatching, I went and it led to me the job I love, and my soulmate.

She is the bravest woman I know, not just because of her love for bright red cowboy boots, but because she has quit her longtime dispatching job and is now relying on her creative talents to make it.

Wearing said boots with a Colette dress she made

Dispatching is one of the most stressful jobs there is and recent studies are showing that dispatchers are developing PTSD. It's a hard job and I think Rachael has made the smart move for her health, physical and mental. I know when I went from dispatching to managing an alarm company my mental health improved over night. The long hours, the endless disgruntled people swearing at you (sorry dude, but it's not my fault your blocked driveway is only a level 1 priority), the rotating shifts (grave, swing, day), and low pay are enough to make anyone get a migraine.

She always looks so well put together

She'll no longer be required to work 56 hours a week, but as an artist and writer I have a feeling she'll be working even longer hours, because sometimes the muse thinks sleep is for the weak. She also lives in the Bay Area, which is stupid expensive (take it from someone that is currently looking for a room to rent). This risk is huge and she is brave.

I implore you to go buy one of her books, she writes about so many things I'm betting you can find at least one book that catches your interest, or would be a perfect gift for Easter or Mother's Day. Hell, it's never too early to start shopping for Christmas! I prefer reading her books at the cabin or river while sipping a whiskey sour. You should try both!

Good luck Rachael!

Psst! She's also on Patreon


1 comment:

  1. OH YOU. This just made me cry, friend. Let's do coffee soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete