Tuesday, April 4, 2017

March Madness & Spring Cleaning

March was a very intense month with a few Amtgard events and Ben starting his new job (go Honey!). We're adjusting to me being home more often well and I've made it a point to get up with him so I can make sure that he has breakfast and lunch.

Being home a lot can have drawbacks if you do not have a plan. I lay out my schedule everyday, make a to do list, review my long term to do list for future projects, and tackle what I can. I leave myself about 30 mins before Ben gets home to clean up any projects that have exploded and review the dinner plan in case I need to pop out to the store.

Yesterday my big to do was spring clean the living room. We've been discussing getting a cat, but to fit a cat tree in the living room we needed to move things around a bit. I managed to move everything, including the couch, by myself, but our oversize chair just doesn't fit well in our little apartment. I'd like to get rid of it and take one of my chairs out of storage, but we literally can't get it out of the house easily.

See when Ben moved in they had to remove the door, and then door frame to get the chair and couch into this place. They're handy downs from Ben's folks and much better suited for their large airy family room then our postage stamp apartment. To cope I am looking at Ikea for a new couch, because when we move there is no way we're taking those with us. Also, his folk's next tenants likely will not want them as they are a little rundown. Does anyone else dream about red, sturdy, couches? I certainly do.

Today I need to make something for lunches for Ben this week. Last week I made pasta with tons of vegetables and that lasted him all week. My original plan was to make fried rice for dinner and have that be his lunch all week, but there wasn't enough leftover from dinner, and I can't make rice. I know, I know, it's really simple, but I can't do it. We own a rice cooker, I make rice per the directions, but I never get nice fluffy rice. It's either pudding, or it's too dry. I blame the Harry Dresden Effect.

Today I'm making quiche, which has the added bonus of being a breakfast food, so I don't have to worry about cooking breakfast all week.



Quiche
Crust:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
5 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small slices
3 to 4 tablespoons ice cold water

In a food processor mix together the flour and salt. Slowly add butter while processor is running and once the mixture resembles sand begin to sprinkle tablespoons of water slowly. Stop when dough begins to clump. Trying not to handle the dough too long. Wrap it into a sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes while you prep the other ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and immediately roll it on a lightly floured surface, applying pressure from the center to the edges until it is about 12 inches in diameter. Place in your tart or pie pan and bake in the center of the oven for 8-9 minutes. Set aside in it's pan. Turn oven down to 375F.

Filling:
1/4 pound precooked and cubed or shredded chicken
1 cup sliced squash or whatever vegetable you have on hand
6 eggs
3 tbsp cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp marjoram

Begin by layering the chicken and squash into your partially baked shell. Thoroughly mix eggs, salt, cream, and marjoram together. Pour egg mixture into your shell. Bake for 25-30 or until top is golden brown, and the filling has set.

To tell if your filling has set tap the side and if the center is jiggling it hasn't set yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment